St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Church

Category: Community Organizations

Address

140 S Monroe Ave View on Google Maps
Green Bay 54301
(920) 432-4348

visit website

District

Downtown District

Details

Bishop Joseph Melchior was appointed the first bishop. When he arrived in Green Bay in the summer of 1868, he chose a modest, wooden frame church constructed by the German immigrants, located on Madison Street to be the "pro-Cathedral" which meant temporary until the present structure could be built. The church, formed in 1851, was named "The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary" and was commonly called "St. Mary's" or the "German Church".

Nearby Shopping

Nearby Dining

Nearby Parking